Major League Baseball: 2012

981 posts / 0 new
Last post
[QUOTE=Bacchus;317018]The only reason Red Sox fans are still watching baseball this season: [url=http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=320904130]Yankees lose 3rd straight, fall into tie with O's for division lead[/url] [/QUOTE] Unfortunately B, I don't think anything could be compared to the Red Sox collapse last year in September. In all seriousness though, what is next for the Sox? Are they going to rebuild from the ground up with Middlebrooks, Ciriaco, etc. or do you think they will be players in the off season?
I must have woken up in Bizarro Land this morning because I see the Sox actually won a game last night. TPTB stated their goal is no less than Division Champs next year, so I expect they will be players this off-season.
[QUOTE=MF41590;317021]Unfortunately B, I don't think anything could be compared to the Red Sox collapse last year in September.[/quote] Yes, the Red Sox might have lost a wild card spot on the last day of the season - but by the numbers the Yankee collapse is just as bad. They are exactly 29-29 since the start of July and have now lost 10 of their past 14. They had a 10 GAME DIVISION LEAD at their peak and now don't even have a wild card spot locked up...with an extra slot! (The Sox had a 1 game division lead and 10 game wild card lead.) The real kicker is the worst might be yet to come. At their current declining rate, they could finish 10 games out of the wild card before this one is over... [quote] In all seriousness though, what is next for the Sox? Are they going to rebuild from the ground up with Middlebrooks, Ciriaco, etc. or do you think they will be players in the off season?[/QUOTE] While management says there are no bridge years in Boston, I think next season should be a bridge year. We have dumped a lot of bad contracts and I think we should continue that trend, trying to move Dice-K and Lackey (although we would have to eat a lot of their contracts regardless.) I also think we should trade Jacoby in the off season. We don't want to be dealing with Boras to resign him as the price will be astronomical. Sell him as a rental for some mid range prospects. Then, get to work with the young players to build a contender. The 2012 FA market is really soft, but by 2013 it will pick up and the Sox can then open their wallet.
I would feel some redemption to the season if the Red Sox could take enough games in these final weeks against the Yankees to force them out of the playoffs. That would make it all worthwhile. ;)
[QUOTE=Bacchus;317497]I would feel some redemption to the season if the Red Sox could take enough games in these final weeks against the Yankees to force them out of the playoffs. That would make it all worthwhile. ;)[/QUOTE] I would prefer the Yankees making the playoffs because I don't see them as a threat whereas Tampa is a scary team.
[QUOTE=TheFeedMachi;317501]I would prefer the Yankees making the playoffs because I don't see them as a threat whereas Tampa is a scary team.[/QUOTE] I agree with your assessment, but this is personal.
[QUOTE=Bacchus;317504]I agree with your assessment, but this is personal.[/QUOTE] I know it is personal, but isn't a playoff collapse always a lot better than a regular season collapse?
[QUOTE=TheFeedMachi;317506]I know it is personal, but isn't a playoff collapse always a lot better than a regular season collapse?[/QUOTE] In most cases yes, but the Yankees already wrote the book on playoff collapses. I'd much rather see the Boston Red Sox on the last day of the season, take and rip up Yankee season ticket holders options on playoff tickets. That would be [I]much[/I] more satisfying.
I don't wish a relapse on anyone, but Josh Hamilton needs to stop hitting home runs.
[QUOTE=molds13;320036]I don't wish a relapse on anyone, but Josh Hamilton needs to stop hitting home runs.[/QUOTE] I wouldn't be too upset if Miggy started hitting the bottle again in these next seven games and had to sit out.
Three unearned runs off of five Royal errors. Timmy Lupus and Tanner Boyle could have put on a better defensive exhibition. I'm conceding the AL Central to the Tigers.
Really Bobby? The most important series for the Sox in the last 2.5 months and you're not even fielding a credible lineup? Seriously I hope you not only get canned but please let the door give you a gargantuan slam on the *** on the way out. And where the heck did Curtis Granderson (6'1", 185) get the power to hit 40 homers this year?!?! Edit: I guess he hit 40 last year too but looking at his career numbers, that seems suspect.
@Areas Yankee Stadium is a joke for left handed batters and the AL East has 3 very favorable hitters parks.
[QUOTE=Aereas;320737]Really Bobby? The most important series for the Sox in the last 2.5 months and you're not even fielding a credible lineup? Seriously I hope you not only get canned but please let the door give you a gargantuan slam on the *** on the way out. And where the heck did Curtis Granderson (6'1", 185) get the power to hit 40 homers this year?!?! Edit: I guess he hit 40 last year too but looking at his career numbers, that seems suspect.[/QUOTE] He changed his stance at the end of 2010
Cool... so all I have to do to hit 40+ homers is find the correct stance? Sign me up!
Cabrera for MVP. Shouldn't even be close.
Biggest Flops in baseball 1. LA Angels. 2.LA Angels. 3. LA Angels. 4. Boston Red Sox. 5. LA Angels
[QUOTE=molds13;320748]Cabrera for MVP. Shouldn't even be close.[/QUOTE] If you don't care about defense or base running.
[QUOTE=Aereas;320737]Really Bobby? The most important series for the Sox in the last 2.5 months and you're not even fielding a credible lineup? [/QUOTE] I have no idea what you are talking about. This is an All Star team in my book... [B]RED SOX (69-90)[/B] Ciriaco 2B Nava LF Ross RF Gomez 1B Lavarnway DH Saltalamacchia C Valencia 3B Lin CF Iglesias SS [B]Pitching:[/B] RHP Clay Buchholz (11-7, 4.22) ...in Double-A, maybe.
[QUOTE=TheFeedMachi;320786]If you don't care about defense or base running.[/QUOTE] He has a .966 fielding percentage, third for his position in the AL (and the guy in first place has played 23 less games). The fielding percentage for a third baseman is always going to be less than that of an outfielder. Are you saying that if a player wins the Triple Crown (which hasn't happened in 55 years), he is not deserving of the MVP? [url=http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-rangers/headlines/20121001-why-angels-of-torii-hunter-would-vote-for-rangers-adrian-beltre--not-teammate-mike-trout--for-al-mvp.ece]Guys on Mike Trout's team aren't even willing to vote for him (if they had votes).[/url] EDIT: Let's not forget that had Cabrera told Prince Fielder to go **** himself and DH, he'd be an above-average first baseman with a much higher fielding percentage.
Fielding Percentage doesn't account for range. His D-WAR is -0.2, tied for 2nd to last among qualified players.
[QUOTE=TheFeedMachi;320797]Fielding Percentage doesn't account for range. His D-WAR is -0.2, tied for 2nd to last among qualified players.[/QUOTE] So? Ryan Braun's D-WAR was -0.3 last year.
Anyone have any pointers on working at the Spring training games? I live down the street from the new Red Sox Stadium. My job is very flexible and I usually do things on the side for extra money. I applied last year but they denied me. How do you get in places like that? I'm curious because some girl I work with works there and she knows nothing about baseball.
[QUOTE=molds13;320800]So? Ryan Braun's D-WAR was -0.3 last year.[/QUOTE] I think Kemp should have won it (who also had a negative D-WAR) but they were both excellent base runners whereas Cabrera is a huge liability.
[QUOTE=TheFeedMachi;320786]If you don't care about defense or base running.[/QUOTE] I do care about winning and what players are willing to do in order to help the team. As a Sox fan, I have a profound dislike for the Tigers, but the MVP race shouldn't even be a debate at this point. Trout has had an excellent season, but Cabrera's numbers have been unreal. He's also switched positions after a four year hiatus at third, and his team has earned a playoff berth. While last year's AL MVP selection was an absolute joke, this one should be a no-brainer.
[QUOTE=Lionsfan780;320765]Biggest Flops in baseball 1. LA Angels. [B] 2.Texas Rangers [/B] 3. LA Angels. 4. Boston Red Sox. 5. LA Angels[/QUOTE] Speaking of flops Mr. Rangers fan, all hail the AL West Champs - the Oakland A's! [URL="http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-rangers/headlines/20121003-rangers-complete-collapse-lose-al-west-title-after-being-swept-by-a-s.ece"]Rangers complete historic collapse, lose 13 game lead and AL West title after getting swept by A's[/URL]
[url=http://vevmo.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=14766][img]http://vevmo.com/imagehosting/1550506d013cad36c.png[/img][/url]
Did you know Miguel Cabrera is actually having his worst statistical season since 2009?
[QUOTE=TheFeedMachi;321075]Did you know Miguel Cabrera is actually having his worst statistical season since 2009?[/QUOTE] And everyone is still doing worse than him!
[QUOTE=TheFeedMachi;321075]Did you know Miguel Cabrera is actually having his worst statistical season since 2009?[/QUOTE] I actually have no idea where you're coming from on this one. Hits: 205 (best in career) RBI: 139 (2nd best in career) Batting average: .330 (3rd best in career) Home runs: 44 (best in career)

Pages