London: Olympics - 2012 (Tape Delay/No Spoilers)

274 posts / 0 new
Last post
[QUOTE=FishHooks;309304]As a viewer, I have no interest in seeing a basketball dream team play. A gold medal is nothing more than an "as expected". Can't really get enthusiastic about that. For that matter, there are a lot of pro basketball players who have said that the best ballers they've seen aren't in the NBA but out in the streets playing pick-up games. Why not use them if they are the "absolute best" basketball players we have? I have no interest in seeing the US win compared to my interest in seeing a US David kick a foreign Goliath's ***. There is nothing more exciting than an upset, so I find myself rooting against the US in basketball. It's that simple and the more uneven the competition becomes, the more people will tune out IMHO.[/QUOTE] The U.S. doesn't always win in basketball lol. You'd be surprised. If you followed the tournaments outside of the Olympics, we get beat down by teams like Argentina.
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18671509]BBC News - Two boys snatch the Olympic torch in Coventry[/url] lol
This may be a really late stupid question but have the Olympics started yet? haha
[QUOTE=TwoStrikes;310081]this may be a really late stupid question but have the Olympics started yet? haha[/QUOTE] They start July 27th.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxQNtDEhVgE]BBC Olympics 2012 Trailer - YouTube[/url]
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
I guess the UK doesn't have any real athletes so they had to CGI some until the Americans arrive LOL :victory: :training1::english_en:
[QUOTE=FishHooks;310116]I guess the UK doesn't have any real athletes so they had to CGI some until the Americans arrive LOL :victory: :training1::english_en:[/QUOTE] Haha pretty much.
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
[QUOTE=ILoveRW;310129]Haha pretty much.[/QUOTE] I hear you Brits are pretty good at paddling those skinny rowboats so you might win at least one medal :sarcastic_hand:
[QUOTE=FishHooks;310134]I hear you Brits are pretty good at paddling those skinny rowboats so you might win at least one medal :sarcastic_hand:[/QUOTE] In fairness to us Brits. We won 8 gold medal in the Cycling in 2008, French & Spain came second with 2 golds, US 4th with 1 gold :p
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
[QUOTE=ILoveRW;310139]In fairness to us Brits. We won 8 gold medal in the Cycling in 2008, French & Spain came second with 2 golds, US 4th with 1 gold :p[/QUOTE] In fairness to us Americans, we prefer our bikes to have big old engines with a Harley Davidson stamped on the gas tanks, and a skanky old gal riding on the ***** seat :)
[QUOTE=ILoveRW;310139]In fairness to us Brits. We won 8 gold medal in the Cycling in 2008[/QUOTE] In fairness to us Americans, it took an entire Brit team of male and female cyclists to win 8 gold metals. We had one guy do that by himself. :wink2: [url=http://vevmo.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=14052][img]http://vevmo.com/imagehosting/14ff2355bafdd1.jpg[/img][/url]
Bacchus I love you and ILoveRW you're a cool dude too. July 27th hurry up.
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
It is time for some old-fashioned wagering now. How about every time the US beats the UK in something, ILoveRW gets to throw a shovel full of dirt in the Grand Canyon and every time The UK beats the US in something we get to shoot a rock at the Shard with our slingshots? Sounds like a fair way to exercise our frustrations for our nation's failures, dontchthink? :good:
I don't think the Grand Canyon is big enough.
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
[QUOTE=ILoveRW;310561]I don't think the Grand Canyon is big enough.[/QUOTE] Very good. We will let you use a smaller shovel to give you more opportunity ROFL.
[B]Breaking News:[/B] England has dreary weather... [url=http://www.weather.com/news/london-prepares-for-soggy-olympics-20120710]London Prepares For Soggy Olympics[/url]
bayday
Anonymous's picture
[QUOTE=Bacchus;310902][B]Breaking News:[/B] England has dreary weather... [url=http://www.weather.com/news/london-prepares-for-soggy-olympics-20120710]London Prepares For Soggy Olympics[/url][/QUOTE] Oh Gosh...One thing that really annoyed me during Wimbledon was the rain delays, or game suspensions during the competition. It's going to really be annoying if this delays certain games, and even the opening ceremony.
Anyone is excited about Olympics just because of basketball? Obviously USA is gonna win but still.
[QUOTE=mizwood;310943]Anyone is excited about Olympics just because of basketball? [/QUOTE] It is one of the only sports I probably will not even watch. I'd much rather see amateur athletes competing for glory than overpaid NBA stars. During the Olympics, I generally watch sports I would not give the time of day to in a normal year (swimming, rowing, track...um, even gymnastics!)
[QUOTE=Bacchus;310945]It is one of the only sports I probably will not even watch. I'd much rather see amateur athletes competing for glory than overpaid NBA stars.[B] During the Olympics, I generally watch sports I would not give the time of day to in a normal year (swimming, rowing, track...um, even gymnastics!)[/B][/QUOTE] Exactly why I watch the Olympics. Gymnastics, Swimming, and Track. I don't give a care in the world about basketball.
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
The thought of water events being cancelled for rain amuses me (yes I know most are inside)
Interesting story [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18804547]BBC News - Armed forces on Olympics standby[/url] Maybe I read too much into these things, but I think the real reason for this is that a terrorist attack is imminent. There have been lots of terrorist related arrests over the past few weeks. Only last week armed police and the army shut down a whole motorway after smoke was seen on a coach, turns out it was just an electric cigarette, bit of an over reaction even if the Olympics are starting soon. Clearly the government is on high alert.
[QUOTE=ILoveRW;310959] Maybe I read too much into these things, but I think the real reason for this is that a terrorist attack is imminent. .[/QUOTE] In the United States and Britain an attack is almost always imminent when hosting an event like the Olympics. There is no question the terrorists will try and there are plenty of them both foreign and [I]domestic[/I] (e.g. Eric Rudolph; Atlanta 1996.) I think the extra troops are just to make sure no expense is spared in making sure they don't succeed while London stands center on the World Stage.
[QUOTE=Bacchus;310963]In the United States and Britain an attack is almost always imminent when hosting an event like the Olympics. There is no question the terrorists will try and there are plenty of them both foreign and [I]domestic[/I] (e.g. Eric Rudolph; Atlanta 1996.) I think the extra troops are just to make sure no expense is spared in making sure they don't succeed while London stands center on the World Stage.[/QUOTE] I guess so, I just feel like they have intelligence that suggests something is going to happen, and now they are just waiting. IIRC the London bombings in 2005 happened the morning after it was London was announced as the host city.
[QUOTE=Bacchus;310945]It is one of the only sports I probably will not even watch. I'd much rather see amateur athletes competing for glory than overpaid NBA stars. During the Olympics, I generally watch sports I would not give the time of day to in a normal year (swimming, rowing, track...um, even gymnastics!)[/QUOTE] True. But there's lot of teams from Europe which you can support. I always go for Spain, Macedonia or Lithuania. I'm trying to watch gymnastics too, but... it's just not for me. I don't worry about bombings that much. In my opinion London is very safe place (or more safe than Sydney or Pekin)

Pages