London: Olympics - 2012 (Tape Delay/No Spoilers)

274 posts / 0 new
Last post
[QUOTE=FishHooks;309015]Your police cars are yellow? Wonder how many Americans try to flag them down thinking they are cabs LOL. Still, thanks for the pictures.[/QUOTE] Haha, no it was some special Olympic car: [URL="http://image.europeancarweb.com/f/news/epcp_1205_bmw_official_cars_2012_olympic_games/41728389+w620/epcp-1205-01+bmw-official-cars-2012-olympic-games+cover.jpg"]picture[/URL]. [QUOTE=Nostalgic;309035]LMAO. I'm laughing my butt off at the guy being mobbed though.[/QUOTE] Yeah it was funny, luckily he managed to keep hold of his torch, those things are worth thousands on ebay.
Hackney's Big Weekend was rather good, Rihanna & Jay-Z were the highlight.
U.S. tennis teams announced: John Isner, Andy Roddick, Ryan Harrison, Donald Young Mike Bryan/Bob Bryan, John Isner/Andy Roddick Serena Williams, Christina McHale, Varvara Lepchenko, Venus Williams Liezel Huber/Lisa Raymond, Serena Williams/Venus Williams 2 Mixed Doubles teams to be determined on site. I can't wait for the Olympics!!! Go USA!!!
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
I really don't like professional athletes competing in the Olympics. I know other countries do it, but I really wish the US still didn't allow it.
bayday
Anonymous's picture
[QUOTE=FishHooks;309288]I really don't like professional athletes competing in the Olympics. I know other countries do it, but I really wish the US still didn't allow it.[/QUOTE] Well I believe it's 100% fair for professional athletes to join. If other countries allow them to enter, why can't the USA do the same? Don't punish the USA & our professional athletes, because the rest of the world can't compete with us, and we're dominate in sports (which is a fact, we have most Olympic Golds & medals, and the best players around the world join our leagues, and train in our facilities). I watched the Dream Team documentary, and when the USA lost the Olympics before the team was created, it was 18-22 year old college students going up against professional, bigger, older men in basketball, how was that fair? If other countries want to use their professional athletes, the USA should be allowed to do the same. The rest of the world needs to catch up if they have an issue with it.
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
[QUOTE=producer88;309294]Well I believe it's 100% fair for professional athletes to join. If other countries allow them to enter, why can't the USA do the same? Don't punish the USA & our professional athletes, because the rest of the world can't compete with us, and we're dominate in sports (which is a fact, we have most Olympic Golds & medals, and the best players around the world join our leagues, and train in our facilities). [/QUOTE] My position is that our professional athletes are well-paid and enjoy a lot of perks of being professional athletes. If winning were the only goal, then sure why not. I personally would rather our big-sport big name athletes sit aside to give a chance to those athletes who weren't as fortunate as them to be picked up by the NBA and such. I guess I don't think that people with gold rolex's, gold bathtubs, and mega-cribs really would miss out on not having a gold medal as much as the amateur's would at not even having a shot to try to get one.
[QUOTE=FishHooks;309296]My position is that our professional athletes are well-paid and enjoy a lot of perks of being professional athletes. If winning were the only goal, then sure why not. I personally would rather our big-sport big name athletes sit aside to give a chance to those athletes who weren't as fortunate as them to be picked up by the NBA and such. I guess I don't think that people with gold rolex's, gold bathtubs, and mega-cribs really would miss out on not having a gold medal as much as the amateur's would at not even having a shot to try to get one.[/QUOTE] How liberal is this? The point of the Olympic Games is to assert your country's athletic prowess over other countries, it's a competition. The main objective is to win. Why would we not want our absolute best athletes to represent us in a competition? If you aren't good enough to be selected/get attention from scouts or to qualify in the Olympic Trials for the U.S. Team for some sports you simply aren't cut to represent the U.S.
I think to compete in the Boxing you can't be a professional.
bayday
Anonymous's picture
[QUOTE=FishHooks;309296]My position is that our professional athletes are well-paid and enjoy a lot of perks of being professional athletes. If winning were the only goal, then sure why not. I personally would rather our big-sport big name athletes sit aside to give a chance to those athletes who weren't as fortunate as them to be picked up by the NBA and such. I guess I don't think that people with gold rolex's, gold bathtubs, and mega-cribs really would miss out on not having a gold medal as much as the amateur's would at not even having a shot to try to get one.[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=infamous;309297]How liberal is this? The point of the Olympic Games is to assert your country's athletic prowess over other countries, it's a competition. The main objective is to win. Why would we not want our absolute best athletes to represent us in a competition? If you aren't good enough to be selected/get attention from scouts or to qualify in the Olympic Trials for the U.S. Team for some sports you simply aren't cut to represent the U.S.[/QUOTE] I 100% agree! As a US citizen I want to see the best athletes we have win Gold & represent our country. It's not about money or endorsment, it's about pride and talent. Why punish athletes that worked so hard to get where they want to in life, because they have money & are popular? Every athlete feels honor, and a certain dutie to represent our country, and win it. It isn't fair having a kid compete against an adult at the Olympics. Allowing our best will also help the world, by promoting that specific sport, and letting the world know where they stand, and what they need to develop. The dream team expanded basketball worldwide, and help other countries develop their teams (ex:Spain). If the best should win the gold, than the best in the world should compete. Not somebody that couldn't even cut it in the USA.
[QUOTE=ILoveRW;309298]I think to compete in the Boxing you can't be a professional.[/QUOTE] As far as I know boxing and wrestling are the only two. Soccer teams only allow three professional players over 23; the rest have to be amateurs.
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
[QUOTE=infamous;309297]How liberal is this? The point of the Olympic Games is to assert your country's athletic prowess over other countries, it's a competition. The main objective is to win.[B] Why would we not want our absolute best athletes to represent us in a competition?[/B] If you aren't good enough to be selected/get attention from scouts or to qualify in the Olympic Trials for the U.S. Team for some sports you simply aren't cut to represent the U.S.[/QUOTE] As a viewer, I have no interest in seeing a basketball dream team play. A gold medal is nothing more than an "as expected". Can't really get enthusiastic about that. For that matter, there are a lot of pro basketball players who have said that the best ballers they've seen aren't in the NBA but out in the streets playing pick-up games. Why not use them if they are the "absolute best" basketball players we have? I have no interest in seeing the US win compared to my interest in seeing a US David kick a foreign Goliath's ***. There is nothing more exciting than an upset, so I find myself rooting against the US in basketball. It's that simple and the more uneven the competition becomes, the more people will tune out IMHO.
bayday
Anonymous's picture
[QUOTE=FishHooks;309304]As a viewer, I have no interest in seeing a basketball dream team play. A gold medal is nothing more than an "as expected". Can't really get enthusiastic about that. For that matter, there are a lot of pro basketball players who have said that the best ballers they've seen aren't in the NBA but out in the streets playing pick-up games. Why not use them if they are the "absolute best" basketball players we have? I have no interest in seeing the US win compared to my interest in seeing a US David kick a foreign Goliath's ***. There is nothing more exciting than an upset, so I find myself rooting against the US in basketball. It's that simple and the more uneven the competition becomes, the more people will tune out IMHO.[/QUOTE] I believe you're in the minority. Americans are known for loving a great underdog story, but at the same time we're a country that likes to win. Example, my favorite sport is Soccer, but I believe one huge reason the sport isn't as popular in the USA is because our team hasn't produced a World Cup win, and we're still far from it (I give it 10-25 years from now). Teams or people that don't win, don't get the endorsements, don't get remembered, and don't get the TV coverage or ratings. Guess what's worst than watching USA men basketball team dominate? Watching them lose every single time. Why wasted my time rooting for them, if I know they will not produce anything, and just misrepresent my country, and our true talent? Winners=Ratings, Domination=Ratings...whether people tune in to see an upset, or have pride in our country's talent. Like I said why punish our best players for their hard work and success, because the rest of the world is up to par? Like I said the Dream Team of 1992 developed Basketball WORLD WIDE, it elevated the game, and changed the sport. Players like Paul Gasol, always mentioned that team as their inspiration in playing basketball. "Dream Teams" or athletes elevate their sport (ex: no one cared about swimming until Michael Phelps, Williams sisters made women tennis players become more athletic and stronger, Usain Bolt has made Track & Field much more popular, and even influenced our on professional track stars step up their game). Professionals promote and elevate the sport. They may dominate for a certain time period, but the future of the sport because more diverse.
[QUOTE=FishHooks;309304]As a viewer, I have no interest in seeing a basketball team play.[/QUOTE] FTFY Basketball is similar to softball for me. One team was so ridiculous dominant that it's not fun to watch any of the other games. Watching the USA is cool, but who cares about anyone else? And ****, they got rid of softball.
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
[QUOTE=molds13;309314]FTFY Basketball is similar to softball for me. One team was so ridiculous dominant that it's not fun to watch any of the other games. Watching the USA is cool, but who cares about anyone else? And ****, they got rid of softball.[/QUOTE] No you didn't fix that, you broke it :cryss: I love watching college basketball.
[QUOTE=molds13;309314]FTFY Basketball is similar to softball for me. One team was so ridiculous dominant that it's not fun to watch any of the other games. Watching the USA is cool, but who cares about anyone else? And ****, they got rid of softball.[/QUOTE] USA basketball is as dominant as it used to be. They got Bronze in 04 and in 08 they only won by 11 in the championship game.
[QUOTE=FishHooks;309315]No you didn't fix that, you broke it :cryss: I love watching college basketball.[/QUOTE] As do I, but professional basketball is terrible in my opinion. You can tell they're playing for money versus playing for pride and a national championship. A majority of teams in the Olympics have at least one NBA star in it, but not all of them. Those are the teams that get slaughtered. That is not fun to watch. A team winning by 11 is not fun. A team winning by single digits is even worse because a period of time that should take 2 minutes ends up taking 20 with timeouts, commercials, etc. The only exciting games, in my opinion, are one and two possession games. And in the women's department, it isn't even close. The WNBA is excruciating to watch and the USA has still won 6 of 9 gold medals and have been on the medal stand for every Olympic games except the one the USA boycotted in Moscow. The gold medal game in 08 was a 27-point blowout. That's not fun to watch.
So are you saying that basketball should be taken out or that they should disallow professionals? Either way, more gold medals for America. I'm not gonna complain about that.
[QUOTE=Nightwolf;309318]So are you saying that basketball should be taken out or that they should disallow professionals? Either way, more gold medals for America. I'm not gonna complain about that.[/QUOTE] I'm saying I don't like watching basketball.
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
[QUOTE=molds13;309319]I'm saying I don't like watching basketball.[/QUOTE] o' the irony of the Vevmo March Madness Champion not liking to watch basketball is not lost on me :girl_prepare_fish:
I don't feel that Soccer, Tennis, Basketball, Baseball, Softball & Handball should be Olympic sports. Not sure why I feel this, but maybe because there are bigger achievements in these sports than winning the Olympic gold medal.
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
[QUOTE=ILoveRW;309321]I don't feel that Soccer, Tennis, Basketball, Baseball, Softball & [B]Handball[/B] should be Olympic sports. Not sure why I feel this, but maybe because there are bigger achievements in these sports than winning the Olympic gold medal.[/QUOTE] Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the bigger [I]Handball [/I]venue than the Olympcs? LOL I understand soccer being there--the others I wish were limited to amateur/semi-pro players.
bayday
Anonymous's picture
There's a reason Baseball and Softball was cut off. Many of the IOC members found that no one had interest in it, and there were no major stars playing in it. Plus the same 3 countries were winning (Cuba, Japan, USA) If the MLB allowed their players to play, more people would attend & watch, and once again the sport will expand to different parts of the world, just like the dream team did for basketball. Olympics should be the best athletes. The amateurs could apply in a few years when they develop their game and are good enough to compete with the best.
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
[QUOTE=producer88;309324][B]There's a reason Baseball and Softball was cut off. Many of the IOC members found that no one had interest in it, and there were no major stars playing in it. Plus the same 3 countries were winning (Cuba, Japan, USA) [/B] If the MLB allowed their players to play, more people would attend & watch, and once again the sport will expand to different parts of the world, just like the dream team did for basketball. Olympics should be the best athletes. The amateurs could apply in a few years when they develop their game and are good enough to compete with the best.[/QUOTE] And badmitten has a huge following? Those sports require a lot of time/games/space and were never well-suited for the Olympics IMO. If I remember right, Olympc baseball had to start before the opening ceremonies just to be able to squeeze the final rounds into the televised weeks of the games.
bayday
Anonymous's picture
[QUOTE=FishHooks;309329]And badmitten has a huge following? Those sports require a lot of time/games/space and were never well-suited for the Olympics IMO. If I remember right, Olympc baseball had to start before the opening ceremonies just to be able to squeeze the final rounds into the televised weeks of the games.[/QUOTE] Those words never cam from me. You can read many articles, and sources that say the downfall of Olympic Baseball & Softball was the lack of interest, and lack of professional players. Sport like badmitten are just skill sports, that Olympic adds, but they make their money & ratings in the major events. Baseball & Softball have been huge disappointments. Once again, you can Google plenty of articles & sources that mentioned the lack of professionals were a huge downfall of the sport as an Olympic event.
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
[QUOTE=producer88;309334]Those words never cam from me. [B]You can read many articles, and sources that say the downfall of Olympic Baseball & Softball was the lack of interest, and lack of professional players.[/B] Sport like badmitten are just skill sports, that Olympic adds, but they make their money & ratings in the major events. Baseball & Softball have been huge disappointments. Once again, you can Google plenty of articles & sources that mentioned the lack of professionals were a huge downfall of the sport as an Olympic event.[/QUOTE] I've read reports that [I]speculated[/I] that was why. Not sure about softball, but baseball had these crazy regional qualifying tournaments where they had good turn out in the stands but weren't in the Olympic's proper. I don't agree that a major league All-star Olympic team would have saved the sport. The vote was a secret vote by a mostly European-staffed IOC committee which reportedly wanted to make room for more sports that [I]they[/I] thought would do well within the Olympic structure like golf and rugby.

Pages