Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 919 ... LastLast
    Debut Album is online now Elite Member

Re: Real World: San Diego (2011) - Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousJoks View Post
    That's what they tried to do this season, and you see how that's working out.
    Really? Doesn't seem like it to me.

InfamousJoks is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Debut Album View Post
    Really? Doesn't seem like it to me.
    Yeah it seems like the DC effect all over again where they tried to cast people who are interesting, like Alex, but they just come off as really, really boring on TV.

KevinW is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousJoks View Post
    That's what they tried to do this season, and you see how that's working out.
    LOL, exactly! Not saying I want the show to only be about booze, hook ups and fights but obviously that is what attracts the viewers to a certain degree. Look at JS. That show is the epitome of drinking, hooking up and trivial storylines yet they manage to pull in 6/7 million viewers a week.

I think RW just needs get back to casting more INTERESTING/Complex cast members, the ones who people either love or hate. Also, more interesting storylines. Vegas did so well because everyone had such strong personalities, which in return created for a season full of good storylines.

CherryPie is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Debut Album View Post
    I don't think that they need to send them to some drug infested neighborhood or to some rioting country. But they need to start casting some Interesting people who will bring something to the show other then sex, Booze, and Clubbing. Casting a Bunch of pretty drunken College kids is not gonna cut it anymore.
    I agree. Brooklyn was probably my favorite season and only Katelynn really drank. But it had much more depth than other seasons, it was awesome. I guess they can't always hit the mark, but it's the second time in 4 years there is a mediocre cast for a "serious" season so it's a bit worrisome.

On another note, sometimes I wonder what would've happened if they had cast Knight, Eric, Ty, Andrew, Jemmye, Ashlee (the one with the nice lips) and Emily all together. That would've made one great season!

FishHooks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CherryPie View Post
    I agree. Brooklyn was probably my favorite season and only Katelynn really drank. But it had much more depth than other seasons, it was awesome. I guess they can't always hit the mark, but it's the second time in 4 years there is a mediocre cast for a "serious" season so it's a bit worrisome.

On another note, sometimes I wonder what would've happened if they had cast Knight, Eric, Ty, Andrew, Jemmye, Ashlee (the one with the nice lips) and Emily all together. That would've made one great season!
    LOL. I don't think that is true at all. From all the various clues I have seen around the web, it seemed like Ryan drank like a fish or at least got plastered everytime he drank but they just didn't show it which I assume was because he was being recalled to war and might be killed and they didn't want him to look bad.

The problem isn't the drinking v. the more serious issues so much as it is that nobody they cast seems to be able to articulate a single idea in an interesting way. People act out but cannot carry on a legit conversation. One of the things I liked about Mike Manning was that he could sit in front of the camera and talk about his past and his issues and then proactively pursue them. It wasn't done for camera time and to get a response from the roomies--it was him dealing and growing. I cannot say that opinion of a cast member being a quality person the same way about anybody else I have seen in any recent season. People interest me more than Mike because they are such entertaining messes, but I find him more respectable and I used to find most on the show that way, but not anymore.

guest Guest

I think it's the editing, casting, and one-hour format that does not work for seasons not centered around alcohol. The editing was much better back in the day with more storytelling. They could use popular music too, not free ****ty indie band music, to set the tone and weren't reliant on the music to indicate the tone of the scene to the viewer.

Seattle, Boston, New Orleans 1, and Chicago are strong examples of highly-rated drama-filled seasons with intelligent people, especially Seattle, not centered around alcohol and hooking up. Mostly sane, intelligent people too. Good job assignments that led to interhouse conflict, especially Seattle and New Orleans with the cast dealing with job hierarchy issues, good roommate drama, and not all centered around booze and hookups. DC sucked, but it could have been stronger had the editors not made it all about Emily and Ty's relationship. The thirty minute episodes just work better for these too, there's no filler like San Diego 2's alarm clock prank wars in the second episode.

Not to say booze is all lazy reality TV. The RW: NOLA2 Jemmye St. Patrick's Day episode was great and the editing was too. They went nearly 30 minutes or so without a talking head, and just let the story tell itself.

torch115 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ********* View Post
    LOL. I don't think that is true at all. From all the various clues I have seen around the web, it seemed like Ryan drank like a fish or at least got plastered everytime he drank but they just didn't show it which I assume was because he was being recalled to war and might be killed and they didn't want him to look bad.
    interesting...

Dash_Vegas! is offline Senior Member

I think another reason for the ratings decline is BMP's decision to switch to 6 roommates instead the usual 7 this season. Why they made this move, I will never know.

yankeegurl93 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dash_Vegas! View Post
    I think another reason for the ratings decline is BMP's decision to switch to 6 roommates instead the usual 7 this season. Why they made this move, I will never know.
    There are 7 roommates this season...

V1man is offline Über Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dash_Vegas! View Post
    Which one was completely forgettable to you?

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 919 ... LastLast