Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 51525 ... LastLast
    FishHooks Guest

Re: Real World: San Diego (2011) - Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Aereas View Post
    I always record the shows and watch them sometime over the weekend. But I don't understand how some people can start the show, then quit after 3-4 weeks. You've already made an investment of time/commitment to the show at that point. I'm way too OCD to stop something I've started. Probably helps that I watch almost no tv other than RW/Challenges and sports though.
    It is hard to know who really quits and who watches later online or by download. People have crazier and crazier schedules. There have been shows I loved but would wait and download 3-4 episodes (and sometimes a season) at a time and watch them all over a single weekend. I think this sort of viewing habit might account for why some shows might suffer in the ratings. It is just becoming more typical to have atypical viewing habits I think and they just haven't figured out a good way to market shows like The Real World to both viewers and advertisers for that chunk of the audience.

KevinW is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCollegeD View Post
    The main problem with the show is that it comes across as too forced. Although the show has never been "real" back in the day they did a much better job at making the show seem authentic. IMHO, i think the new HD style commercializes the show way too much and i feel like I'm watching a crappy teen drama instead of a documentary series. I think a big problem is in the story editing. They need to go on youtube catch old episodes of Real World Hawaii and take notes on how to edit a good show. By the 7th half hour episode of real world hawaii I've learned more about all castmembers than i've learned about Sam, Nate or Frank by the 7th hour long episode this season (and they're the ones that get majority of the screentime). To put it simply they need to focus on getting the viewer to know these people rather than shoving their problems in our face from the gate.
    I agree with all of this. I'm REALLY hoping they decide to get rid of the "HD style" because it makes the show come across as VERY fake and staged.

The only reason I'm still watching this season is because I've watched every season since the ORIGINAL Las Vegas (that's when I first became a RW fan) but its becoming harder and harder to watch the show considering the fact that the storylines are beyond boring.

ballinbroken is offline Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    The only reason I watch is because I've watched every episode of every season and I hate to break from that now.

That said, it is horrible in how boring and repetitive a reality show can be over the course of an hour. I count the minutes down until I can watch Top Chef at 11.

This season is an unmitigated disaster for MTV. The good news to take out of this is they pulled a 0.7 - with the bad new being the bottom is probably yet to come unless there is something inspiring ahead.

Don't count on inspiration...
    I used to dvr Top Chef and watch Real World, but now it's the other way around and now I'm thinking about dvring South Park and watching Top Chef, then watching Real World on Mtv.com.

OrangeStar is offline Member

REAL WORLD XXVI MTV 10:00 PM 1.345 (total viewers) 0.7 (18-49 share)

via

FishHooks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeStar View Post
    REAL WORLD XXVI MTV 10:00 PM 1.345 (total viewers) 0.7 (18-49 share)

via
    I expect that will be pretty much the ballpark for the rest of the season. Of course, I have read that Glee's ratings are horrible this year too so maybe there is a migration of viewing going on across the key demographic toward non-traditional platforms.

Calinks is offline Senior Member

I enjoyed the last episode. It was just happy go lucky and it was nice to see. I can certainly understand why this season is getting killed in ratings though. Pretty uneventful, I know a person or two that didn't even begin to watch it based on the cast alone.

The only other show I care for on Wednesdays that comes on around the same time is The Ultimate Fighter. They reply that later in the day though so I catch Real World. I really hope the challenge can recover from this though. If the challenge starts pulling in .7's we are in trouble.

molds13 is offline Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Calinks View Post
    I enjoyed the last episode. It was just happy go lucky and it was nice to see. I can certainly understand why this season is getting killed in ratings though. Pretty uneventful, I know a person or two that didn't even begin to watch it based on the cast alone.

The only other show I care for on Wednesdays that comes on around the same time is The Ultimate Fighter. They reply that later in the day though so I catch Real World. I really hope the challenge can recover from this though. If the challenge starts pulling in .7's we are in trouble.
    I have two shows in line before Real World at 10pm on Wednesdays. From what I have seen this season, I'm not missing much, so I don't even bother trying to catch it online.

CherryPie is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by V1man View Post
    No, online viewing does not count in the overnights, which are the numbers that come out no later than Friday (usually Thursday). Generally, the reported ratings are for broadcast + DVR. As best as I can recall, the online viewer numbers don't make an appreciable difference, and they certainly have little to no influence on the broadcast advertisers who are, by far, the only ones who really count.

I expect that MTV sold this season based on the ratings success of Las Vegas. Any advertiser who overpaid, expecting similar numbers, is probably none too happy with MTV right now.

There is good news for you, however. As an online viewer, you actually do count as a real, verified viewer, unlike most people who watch on cable or satellite. This is not the place for a tutorial on ratings. You can Google to learn about them if you are so inclined, but here is a short Wikipedia summary:
    Wow, thank you this answer!

ballinbroken is offline Vacation

REAL WORLD XXVI MTV 10:00 PM 1129 (000s) 0.6 (18-49 Rating)

This is getting outta hand.

jesses_girl is offline Vacation

Did it ever past the 2mil mark? I know it's been pretty steady in the (18-49) area though. At least the last time i checked it was at 1.0 for several episodes.

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 51525 ... LastLast