Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 11 ... LastLast
    salt&vinegar is offline Elite Member

Re: Real World: New Orleans 2 - Trailer

Based on the trailers I think that this season could be really good, but it could also suck and lose me after 2 episodes...

jephd is offline Apprentice

I think what has made The Real World really lose its appeal is that, not only does it no longer seem "real," but even the "world" aspect is missing now. I remember in the old school seasons, The Real World-ers actually were actually able to open doors for us into their lives that we don't really get to see nowadays. For example, we got to see Pam go out there and work on her rotations and then go out into the city and provide health care for the homeless. Or, we got to see Pedro show us the world of someone who was fighting to survive HIV/AIDS.

Last season, we got to see Mike pursue his interests and then actually work for HRC. Andrew had a meetings, great, but what else? Nothing, really. What did Ty do? I think some of the girls helped with some benefit, but they didn't show much in terms of their involvement. I know that Emily worked with some children coming from disadvantaged settings on their poetry. But what made her appealing was her background when it came to her being subjected to living in a cult-like environment. We don't see her address that too much on the season. It would be nice to know more about her story and maybe she could've gotten involved with sharing her story as her "work." Erika moped around a lot but it would be nice to see her address her depression more head on. In summary, I think the cast members are nowadays less shameless when it comes to their partying antics, but more guarded with their other vices that we might find more interesting.

Now...this is not to say The Real World producers have completely neglected this aspect throughout the series. I can think of a maybe three (but out of seven or eight!) each season who have delivered a story line worth following and open themselves to the audience more. However, their stories just become diluted when everyone else appears to be just deadweight.

Anyway, my bad for digressing on the topic. I will admit that I am excited about this season because I started watching the show with the original New Orleans season when I was 13, and now I feel like they are coming full circle with the return. I am not sure the cast of this season will be as likeable though.

guest2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jephd View Post
    Andrew had a meetings, great, but what else? Nothing, really.
    Not only that, but the meetings were clearly orchestrated by production, throwing off the realness of the show. In the past, when the cast gets to do something at productions' expense, it's very clear, such as when the RWNOLA1 cast went to Anne Rice's house...you saw the note on the door from production giving details.

When Andrew got to speak to the cartoonist, it was explained by him to the viewer that he "decided to make a few phone calls". That's not true and not real. You can't just get the Washington Post's top cartoonist's phone number and get an internship with the lesser Washington Times in the middle of the summer. When the cast gets internships through the show, it throws off reality. Like Kim getting to interview on the Entertainment Tonight set, or Chet getting to do a test interview at MTV's Times Square studios, it makes it unreal. When they have a group job, it's very clear they were handed it. The same should be done for these, either be clear about how they got the interview where they dressed up in shorts, or don't hand them the opportunity and instead make them seek it out. Otherwise, the show looks fake.

SuperGraham is offline Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by jephd View Post
    Anyway, my bad for digressing on the topic. I will admit that I am excited about this season because I started watching the show with the original New Orleans season when I was 13, and now I feel like they are coming full circle with the return. I am not sure the cast of this season will be as likeable though.

I started watching the Real World with the original New Orleans cast. I was 5 years old. I know that's very young to be watching this type of reality show, but I really grew to love that original New Orleans cast. I totally agree with what you said about how they're coming full circle with the return. I hope that we really do get to know about the cast's personal lives WHILE they have fun. Every other season is either "serious" or party, I wish the two would mesh together this season.

hmmm, We'll see.

CrazyRealityGuy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by molds13 View Post
    I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess you're talking about me since I said the season looks boring.

I never said I wasn't going to watch it, but RW561015 pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly. I haven't been watching as long as she has, but there's no denying that the Real World has changed who they are trying to target with their audience, and it's simply not my cup of tea anymore.

I'll give it a chance (as I do most shows, except for ones that deal with vampires) but only because it comes with the name. If this was just some new show that was on TV and I saw that trailer...I wouldn't be interested.
    I completely agree with you. It looks boring and predictable. The Real World has changed from it's target audience to the people they cast to even the number of roomates. I am going to give it a shot. I honestly only watched bits of the final episode of DC and missed the reunion. I honestly watch it now, because it's something to do. Just like how people eat, when they are bored but not actually hungry, that is TRW to me.
    I guess I will have to acknowledge the fact it will never be like a Miami, Seattle, Original New Orleans, B2NY or Chicago season again...

katd26 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyRealityGuy View Post
    I completely agree with you. It looks boring and predictable. The Real World has changed from it's target audience to the people they cast to even the number of roomates. I am going to give it a shot. I honestly only watched bits of the final episode of DC and missed the reunion. I honestly watch it now, because it's something to do. Just like how people eat, when they are bored but not actually hungry, that is TRW to me.
    I guess I will have to acknowledge the fact it will never be like a Miami, Seattle, Original New Orleans, B2NY or Chicago season again...
    I completely agree, even though the trailer did look good, i've watched enough seasons to know the trailer is usually the best part of the season. I mean really...was DC anything to write home about? Except for Panda being thrown off the porch???

gamer73 is offline Senior Member

I am really excited for this season!

Quote Originally Posted by katd26 View Post
    I completely agree, even though the trailer did look good, i've watched enough seasons to know the trailer is usually the best part of the season. I mean really...was DC anything to write home about? Except for Panda being thrown off the porch???
    Thanks katd! I like this chick (or dude) and her (or his) tv choices. Maybe I am getting to old for the drunken hook-ups... But...
    Something like Danny from the original New Orleans being gay and having a closeted military bofriend, or a dominate black woman (Coral) who stood up to everyone, or Aneesa running around naked, or Stephen accused of being gay, or David crying and screaming in a car with the windows down and doors locked because he wanted to date one of the crew members, or Ruthie driving drunk, was new and refreshing.

I am sorry but being the new "naive" girl, or loudmouth, or hollywood/emo type is just boring. Get likable people. Of course there are a few who are always likeable, but in season's past there were some people who we loved and some people we loved to hate... we don't find that anymore!
    Like on DC would anyone care if any one of the roomies got kicked off? Sure maybe Mike was nice and Andrew was funny (to some, I personally found him a bit annoying) but it wasn't like you were rooting for them and couldn't wait to see them each week.

That is just my opinion. I might be wrong, maybe people were lining up every Wednesday night just to see Ty and Emily fight, or Mike exploring his sexuality.

katd26 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyRealityGuy View Post
    Thanks katd! I like this chick (or dude) and her (or his) tv choices. Maybe I am getting to old for the drunken hook-ups... But...
    Something like Danny from the original New Orleans being gay and having a closeted military bofriend, or a dominate black woman (Coral) who stood up to everyone, or Aneesa running around naked, or Stephen accused of being gay, or David crying and screaming in a car with the windows down and doors locked because he wanted to date one of the crew members, or Ruthie driving drunk, was new and refreshing.

I am sorry but being the new "naive" girl, or loudmouth, or hollywood/emo type is just boring. Get likable people. Of course there are a few who are always likeable, but in season's past there were some people who we loved and some people we loved to hate... we don't find that anymore!
    Like on DC would anyone care if any one of the roomies got kicked off? Sure maybe Mike was nice and Andrew was funny (to some, I personally found him a bit annoying) but it wasn't like you were rooting for them and couldn't wait to see them each week.

That is just my opinion. I might be wrong, maybe people were lining up every Wednesday night just to see Ty and Emily fight, or Mike exploring his sexuality.
    You're welcome, and I am indeed a she and Thank you!!

Awesome, Nice to meet you!
    And I will give it a chance, and probably end up watching it, even if I think it's boring... but my hopes aren't high!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 11 ... LastLast