Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast
    Bacchus is offline Administrator

Re: True Blood Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by needsalife View Post
    I am still having physical withdraws!!!
    Ya, Vampire blood withdrawals are rough!

dplayer18 is offline Vevmo Revenge XI: Saints

Quote Originally Posted by tatertots View Post
    Totally recommend it! I had a major marathon like Bacchus and watched both seasons in a week once it came out on Netflix since I don't get HBO.

I am much pickier about my vampire based movies/shows and this one definitely holds up. I am admittedly not a fan of Twilight because I didn't like her changes to the vampire lore and I haven't checked out Vamp Diaries since I am watching other stuff when it's on.

I like my vampire stuff bloody, dark and pretty faithful to the older/more basic lore and this definitely fits the bill. My only complaints with the series so far is that I thought the main storyline for the second season went on a little too long and I didn't like who they cast as the Queen of Louisiana.
    Thanks for the recommendations! I heard a while back it was kind of similar to Twilight so wasn't too interested. I don't get HBO either but definitely going to get the DVDs and check it out, sounds interesting!

tjhallow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    Ya, Vampire blood withdrawals are rough!
    Bacchus,

You should try watching Vampire Dairies.

tjhallow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dplayer18 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations! I heard a while back it was kind of similar to Twilight so wasn't too interested. I don't get HBO either but definitely going to get the DVDs and check it out, sounds interesting!

Its def. not similar to twilight, I'd say the only similarity between the three shows are the couples... Edward & Bella, Bill & Sookie, and Elena & Stefan.

RockSteadyVybes is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tjhallow View Post
    Its def. not similar to twilight, I'd say the only similarity between the three shows are the couples... Edward & Bella, Bill & Sookie, and Elena & Stefan.
    True Blood is definitely going to adapt though....there's much more to the story of Bill & Sookie, and many other events that happen down the line. I know Ball doesn't have to stick to the books...but if he even keeps a general similar storyline, then things are definitely going to be shaken up.

I also recommend the books! Granted, they're not as edgy, but I love reading them with the show's context in mind - I can't wait to see how some of this **** plays out on TV!

I feel like Twilight is giving Vampire lore a bad rep. Vampire lore used to be dark, devious, bloody disgusting, and horrifying before Twilight had to come and make it look all PG. Some of my favorite stuff is Vampire tales....Buffy (movie and show), Interview With the Vampire, The Lost Boys, Bram Stoker's Dracula - but now it's dorky and feminine to like vamps - and that's just silly.

tjhallow Guest

RockSteadyVyBes,

I agree. And to be honest, I never was into vampires so when I first seen twilight I was obsessed. And then I seen true blood and I was like wow I'm never watching twilight again. I actually wasn't going to give VD a chance but I love how someone dies every episode and Elena is nothing like Bella from twilight.

I only watch twilight for Rob Pattinson.

Stacee_Danielle is offline Elite Member

I think it's funny how everyone is like no this Vampire story is better than this one because they stick to the "myth" "legend" "tales"...whatever you choose to call it, when in all actuality, they are all made up...so what some Vampires are mean and some are squishy emotional wrecks, I love them all for different reasons. I am an original vampire buff...I have seen and read just about all of it since I was about 8 I see that all stories have discrepancies when it comes to the "Vampire way of life" it doesn't mean that I am going to automatically cut one off just beacuse a bunch of teenage girls like it for the love story or because "Twilight killed vampires for me" that to me is just people taking the easy way out by insulting something and the people who like it instead of simply saying "I didn't like that story"

/end rant (although it's not really a rant so much as a "get over it" and give all shows a chance at least once, you might be surprised and if not...you can always change the channel )

Quote Originally Posted by Stacee_Danielle View Post
    I think it's funny how everyone is like no this Vampire story is better than this one because they stick to the "myth" "legend" "tales"...whatever you choose to call it, when in all actuality, they are all made up...
    The difference is, the type of Vampire in True Blood holds closer to the centuries old mythology than glittering glam vampires who sparkle...

I'm into the former but you seriously could not pay me to watch the latter for more than 5 minutes.

Comparing True Blood to Twilight would be like comparing Saving Private Ryan to Sgt Bilko.

tatertots is offline Moderator

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have said "the vampire lore", I probably should have specified and said that I like my vampire stories to be more "typical" or more faithful to the more basic and original takes on vampires and vampirism.

I've given Twilight a fair chance though. I read most of the first book and just couldn't get into it. Mostly because I hated her writing and just couldn't connect with the characters, especially Bella, but having the vamps sparkle was just the cherry on top for me to not finish the book. I have also seen both of the movies and found the dialogue and writing to be as equally bad as the books. Admittedly, I did go into them ready to laugh, so that probably didn't help much in getting me to like Twilight's take on vampire. This is pretty much how I feel about Twilight: How Twilight Works - The Oatmeal

I just prefer my vampire stories to be darker, bloodier (I don't think they've even shown fangs in either of the Twilight movies! What's up with that?), scary and the occassional sex/raunch that depictions like True Blood brings. True Blood is understandably a little too much for people and I get that. Just like Twilight isn't enough for me.

There really are no set rules as to what is a vampire but there are basics like fangs, blood and being bound by night/darkness in some way. People have been picking and choosing how they see a vampire for centuries. I just see them more along the lines of Nosferatu, Dracula, Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, True Blood, Salem's Lot and Buffy instead of the Blade series, Twilight, or Underworld. It's just personal preference and sometimes it's the characters that don't do it for me, other times the writing or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by tatertots View Post
    I've given Twilight a fair chance though. I read most of the first book and just couldn't get into it. Mostly because I hated her writing and just couldn't connect with the characters
    Yes, it is hard being an adult and connecting with sparkly, glitter filled teenage characters.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast