Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    snarkaholic is offline Apprentice

Asians on the Real World

In December 2005, Aaron Gillego, a columnist for The Advocate criticized the series for having never cast an Asian male in the then-13 years of its existence, opining that female Asians have been cast on the show because heterosexual men have been socialized by the media to think of them as exotic beauties or sex objects, but that Asian males have been largely invisible in popular media.
    This was as of four years ago, why do you think there hasn't been any Asian guys on the show? Is it a calculated move on behalf of casting?

behindme is offline Member

Re: Asians on the Real World

Probably not. I went to high school with a lot of Asians (almost 20% of my high school was) and from what I gathered from them, honor and respect is a huge part of their culture. I doubt there is a big pool of Asian males to choose from in the first place because I'm sure that many of them would lose the respect of their families if they were on the show, and I'd doubt that the show would cast someone simply for the fact that they were an Asian male. Maybe an Asian male that they find suitable for the show hasn't come along yet. RW is about showcasing people from different races, cultures and sexualities, and most of the time the reason that a certain race/gender combo has not been on the show isn't because they are against having someone cast, but because someone they want to cast hasn't come along yet.

In 23 seasons, there hasn't been anyone who is Indian and there has only been one Iranian (Parisa). It's not that BMP is against casting them--those from these cultures who actually audition for the show are few and far between.

iMichael is offline Member

I don't think there have been any Asian men on the Real World, but I know Steve (RR Quest) and Yes (RR SaS) were at least partially Asian, and I know a lot of women concidered Yes to be sexy at the time.

There have been a decent amount of women who were at least partially Asian on the Real World. Pam, Ruthie, Melissa, Lori, Christina, Jaime and Parisa.

And in response to the post above mine, I believe Aneesa is partially West Indian.

Parisa isn't considered Asian, she's Middle Eastern, or, in the views of the US government, white. Asian usually refers to the far East--encompassing China, Japan, North/South Korea, etc. I know this because in my high school's demographic statistics, I was included in the Caucasian portion and I'm Iranian.

tjhallow Guest

I don't think it has anything to do with casting, maybe they just haven't found anyone interesting enough to be on the show, who happens to be Asian.

They should cast people because they are interesting, not because of their ethnicity.

snarkaholic is offline Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by tjhallow View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with casting, maybe they just haven't found anyone interesting enough to be on the show, who happens to be Asian.

They should cast people because they are interesting, not because of their ethnicity.
    I completely agree that casting should not apply tokenism into their decision-making. That said, going 0 for 172 for 23 consecutive seasons (including DC) in not casting an Asian male is at best, an aberration and at worst, highly suspect.

Hugs4MT is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by snarkaholic View Post
    I completely agree that casting should not apply tokenism into their decision-making. That said, going 0 for 172 for 23 consecutive seasons (including DC) in not casting an Asian male is at best, an aberration and at worst, highly suspect.

Maybe since Talpa Media is co-joined with BMP they can change things up?, maybe it can go 1 for 179? who knows?

ErinMichelle is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by iMichael View Post

And in response to the post above mine, I believe Aneesa is partially West Indian.
    Um, Indian and West Indian are two completely different things lol But thanks for bringing up Yes because he is incredibly sexy.

I still don't understand why there have been no Asian guys or at least more 100% Asian females on the show. I think that's bull about the stereotypical Asian culture of bringing shame on their parents. Not every Asian family is like that. And if they were, who's to say the person casted would be a wild and crazy partyer hooking up with multiple people and making an *** of themselves?

I mean, I come from a pretty traditional family too (albeit Persian) but they're not all about honor and stuff, it's just that parents who are immigrants usually don't understand stuff that we grew up with, and they don't see the point or would see it as embarrassing to the community or whatever. I remember Parisa saying something to that extent during Sydney.

RW561015 is offline Senior Member

I still don't understand why there have been no Asian guys or at least more 100% Asian females on the show. I think that's bull about the stereotypical Asian culture of bringing shame on their parents. Not every Asian family is like that. And if they were, who's to say the person casted would be a wild and crazy partyer hooking up with multiple people and making an *** of themselves?
    I agree. And other reality shows have found guys of Asian descent that they've cast, including BMP's Road Rules (as mentioned earlier). I think perhaps they could at least find a half Asian, half ______ (black or white or Hispanic, etc) guy. Or an Asian b-boy, or an Asian guy who wants to get out on his own, or whatever. Perhaps they haven't found the right one, but I also think that maybe some Asian guys who like the show might feel that BMP is not interested in casting any Asian guys after all this time of not having one. And that could decrease the chances of them finding an Asian guy.

Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast